Monday, September 3, 2018

Fixed the deck stairs

About 6 months ago I noticed the stairs on the deck had lowered about 2 inches from where they originally met the top deck.  I thought it was strange and that maybe it was always like that and I just never noticed.  It kept burning me,  but I didn't look too hard to figure out why and couldn't find an answer.  I did notice when you ran up and down the stairs they shook pretty good.  But that seemed normal to me since it always seemed to do that.

About a month ago I was sitting under the deck and I looked over and up and noticed a big old hard fungus growing out from where the stairs connected to the deck and it clicked.  The people who made the deck didn't treat it until after it was built, so the wood rotted.  The stairs were immediately banned and for the next month the front door was used to get in the back yard.

I hoped that the supporting board wasn't rotted and that we could just replace the connecting boards,  but when we very easily pulled them off (they were hardly connected anymore and completely rotted through and after finishing realized how lucky we were that the stairs didn't totally fall down) saw that all boats were rotted. After much research since I've never fixed a deck before, Eric's dad came over to help me and Eric fix the stairs.  We're replaced all necessary boards and I can happily say the stairs are very solid now.  Is nice to not have them shake and know that they are safe.  Although I really hope I never have to fix a deck again because it wasn't very fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think!