Monday, July 3, 2017

Goodbye Snowball

A few days after getting back from Florida, Snowball started crowing. It sounded like a baby doll with dying batteries. A really ugly sound. Well it wasn't much of a problem until Friday morning. We sleep with our windows open because we have a swamp cooler instead of an air conditioner unit. He crowed a few times, so I went out and put him back in the coop. He stopped. Saturday morning he crows again, but not until closer to noon. Not so much of a problem. He had been crowing throughout the day and I was starting to wonder why not many people had responded to my KSL ad that I had placed on Tuesday. But Sunday morning was the straw. I was so excited to sleep in and at 6 am he starts crowing. He crowed about 6 times and and I ran out and threw a stick at him. The second I got back in my bed, he started up again. SO out I went and caught him and put him in a box in our garage. Of course after running around for 10 minutes, I couldn't fall asleep and my plans to sleep in were foiled. The boys woke up about an hour later so I put Snowball back outside. Within a few minutes he was crowing again. I sent Oliver out to quiet him, but he wouldn't be quiet! All I could think about was how some neighbor would report me and I'd get in trouble for having a rooster. He wouldn't quiet so out I went again to catch him and put him in a box in the garage. I added him to the pets free section of KSL instead of just the poultry section. Luckily two people texted me during church and one came and picked him up after church. This was very good timing, because he was going to stay in a box up to one more day before either I got someone to wring his neck or we let him go in the woods. Oliver was VERY concerned about the woods options and I was just crossing my fingers that someone would take him. I didn't ask the guy why he wanted him, but he was asking where to get a hen at, so I think for breeding purposes. Oliver was very satisfied and easily said goodbye, but did ask about 100 times why we couldn't keep the rooster.
He was adorable, but I could not stand that crow. I'm so glad that roosters are not allowed in the city. Maybe one day we can try again with a frizzle and luck out with a hen.

Some goodbye pictures (I needed some for my KSL ad)













An update on Eagle. She is getter bigger, fluffier and is still a girl. Whew!


2 comments:

  1. He doesn't look like a rooster. Ours have long tails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since he is a frizzle, they didn't specify which breed of chicken he was, but in doing some research, Cochin chickens have the feathered legs and no tail. So I think that is what he was.

      Delete

We love to hear what you think!