Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Renovated TV Stand

 We bought this dresser from DI when we first bought our house 7 years ago (how has it been that long?). It came quite ugly and with forest green drawers. Eric had a vision for me to sand it down and stain it, remove the top three drawers and add a shelf. All of which I did. Then after seven years of staring at it, I realized it was the only thing in the room left that wasn't quite where I wanted it to be style wise. So I decided it was time for a TV stand flip! I looked up a bunch of flips on Instagram and picked out what I liked. I drew up some plans and got to work. I had to change a few design elements (was going to be half dowels on the front of the drawers, not flat slats like it is) due to cost and trying to locate things, and I added a few extra things like the paintable wallpaper on the shelf for extra texture. In the end, it turned out exactly as I had planned in my head and now I love to look at it. In the process I also fixed the drawers so that they slide more easily and I made the shelf more accessible, and rounded out the holes for the cords in the back of the dresser. 

Also, it was between 15-20 degrees every morning when I woke up on the days that I decided to do the project with a high of 30, so paint was taking a little longer to dry and it was quite chilly working in the garage. I decided I would wait to try out my next furniture flip until it warms up a bit.

Here is the before (forgot to take one showing the ugly holes in the back for the cords or how it looked with everything hooked up.)

And the after






This is to show what material I used to cover the drawers. It was pvc trim. 

I wanted to do dowels, but they were $4 each for 6 ft and one dowel only covered a third of a drawer, so it would have been pricey. Went with an 8 ft pvc trim for $2.50 instead. I thought of alternating, but I didn't love the style and there was a gap in the middle. The pvc trim fit perfectly.
And one last look.



1 comment:

  1. You updated your blog! Yay! The makeover looks good-way to go! You are super talented my friend!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think!