Monday, May 2, 2011

Summer + fun books that aren't for school = happy


As my way to celebrate the beginning of summer/end of the fall semester, I read a book. Not just any book, mind you: a neverending one. Apparently the term "neverending" really just means about 380 pages. If that's the case, I've read LOTS of neverending books.

I was excited to read this book because the movie was one of my favorites growing up. I cried along with Atreyu each time Artax died in the Swamp of Sadness (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because wouldn't Atreyu die too because he's crying?) and ran with him as he bolted past the Sphinxes with the electrifying stares. Boy, was I in for a letdown.

Luckily, life goes on, because "NeverEnding Story" by German-born author Michael Ende (or is it Neverende?) was a waste of my life, which could have been wasted learning Ryu's upside-down kick on "Street Fighter II". The movie follows the book pretty closely, up until where the movie ends. The book doesn't end there, in fact it goes on for an extra 200 boring pages. Overall, the book gets a low "C" grade while the movie stays up on my list with a shining "B+".

And, for anyone who has seen the movie but still has no idea what name Bastian yells out at the end (I always thought it was his mother's name, but I guess not), the name is: Moonchild. Explain that one to me, Atreyu.

2 comments:

  1. WWWHHHAAAATTTT!!!!! Moonchild. That is crazy. I thought it would be his mother's name too. I also loved that movie. That is disappointing that the book falls short. This summer Maren and I are going to try and start the Narnia series. That is Maren's most favorite movie of all times, and I thought it would be fun to read them with her, especially now since she sped through the Harry Potter books. My that child can read. I will have to have others on my list for when she breezes through the Narnia ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that movie. I might have to read that book now just because i'm curious.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think!